Sunday, April 29, 2012

Riding Matters

One of the really attractive things about riding, and what makes it matter so much to me, is that it makes me matter.

At times, we all start to feel like we don't matter much, like we aren't respected, or wanted, or listened to. I'm no different.

A lot of times at work, I feel ignored and disregarded. I want to give up, throw in the towel. But I can't, I have a job to do, and more important than the job, and how I feel about it, is the two kids I support and insure through that job. So, I put up with the bullshit, even though I often don't feel like my input matters to anyone but me.

Any parent can understand when I say that sometimes, when the kids don't listen, you feel like you don't matter to them, either. Of course, deep down, you know you do (unless you're a real shit parent). But the feeling can bring you down.

My Other Half is an independent, very intelligent woman, with thoughts and strong opinions of her own. As is perfectly normal, we often have differences of opinion, and again - I can start to feel disregarded, like my input or opinion is inconsequential. Yes, I know it's not true, but go with me here - it's that gut feeling, that initial reaction I'm talking about.

That all goes away on the bike. I get out on the street or the road on two wheels, and everything changes. My input is the only thing that matters then. I lean left, the bike goes left. I hit the brakes or let off the throttle, I slow down. Shift gears and twist the throttle, I accelerate. My life is literally in my own hands. More so than in a car, because of the lack of a safety cage around my body. My input not only matters - it's crucial.

So, while it's far from the only reason I ride, feeling in control is a big part of the attraction for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment